Thursday, October 23, 2008

Feb 23, 2006: The Thursday Morning Ride!!!

If you go back to the training plan that I posted on Jan 30th, Thursday mornings are for speed training. Mark and I agreed we'd do ride with the group that starts at the Starbucks in Palo Alto and comes down Sandhill at 6:30am. Thor joined us, as he usually does on Thursdays, and after a brisk ride down Foothill to Sandhill, we sat for a while and waited for the pack to show up. We saw a lone light coming out of the distance. As it got closer, we realized this was it - there were about 49 riders following the lone light :-)

The 3 of us jumped onto the back of the pack and spent our time there during the early parts of this ride. As Mark and Thor and I were riding down Foothill, I asked them " are you looking forward to this ride with anticipation or apprehension. I think the consensus was that we were all apprehensive only because we have not done this ride enough to have the confidence that we can finish it without being dropped. Hanging onto the back of the pack seemed like the 'safe' thing to do so that you can get dropped silently and with dignity :-)

The tempo up Sandhill was managable. While I found myself out of the saddle a few times, it was all within my capabilities. I hung onto the back of the pack. As we make the top of the hill the speeds picked up going down towards 280. Then up the next hill, again, at a reasonalble tempo - this is all part of the plan. The real fun starts on the back side of this hill and up the climb towards Mountain Home. On this secion, the pace quickens and I can feel my pulse rise, my heart beating fast and I'm starting to breathe heavy. But I swear, I'm going to hang onto the back of the pack no matter what. As we make the turn onto Mountain Home, you get a bit of a break and it is just enough for me to catch my breath.

Now we have the twisty road to navigate until we get out to 84. One thing about riding at the back is you get the accordian effect. In every turn the pack gets way spread out and the guys at the back have to chanse to get back onto the group. You get quite a workout riding at the back - but it is safe there - just in case you get dropped :-)

Next we make the right hand turn off of 84 onto the lower section of the Olive Hill maze. I'm still feeling good and hanging on for dear life, but I'm there - that's all I ever wanted to be on this ride :-) Down onto Manualla and a right onto Kings Mountain Rd. then left onto Tripp. The accordian effect is gut renching but I continue to hang on. Down Tripp and then right onto 84 again. Then left onto Portola. I'm still there - hanging onto the back of the pack. Over Portola, back up onto Mountain Home and then right to go up Portola on the loop. Still hanging on for deal life.

At this point, I'm thinking it is time to move up towards the front. I make a couple of feeble attempts but every time I get about 1/4 up into the pack, a surge begins and I find myself riding at the back..... again. At one point, I got sandwiched between Jongsma on my left and another guy riding the shoulder on my right. There were some cones in the road protecting a ditch and the guy riding the shoulder moved over - there was no place for me to go unless I wanted to drop back some more so I stood my ground. We were banging handlebars with each other for about 300 ft. Then the road widened again and everyone could step down. I move to the outside of the pack and the guy in front of me takes off. I hesitate but think "what the hell - I've been wanting to move up" and off I go. I get on his back wheel and the next thing you know we are blowing by cyclist after cyclist. He goes right on by the front of the pack but I'm not ready for that. I drop off his wheel and try to find a place to slide in. I find myself trapped out on the side of the pack for a while but am finally able to wedge myself into an opening and get behind someone out of the wind. I look around and I'm in 5th position with the guy I was chasing off the front by 1oo ft. What am I doing up here? Don't think too much - your legs feel good, your breathing is under control - keep riding.

The pace quickens as we head up Portola. I try to maintain my position but the surges are beginning. My heart is racing and my breathing is getting heavy - but I hang on. The person in front of me tires and sits up. I have to brake hard and look for a place to get by in the surging bikes that are going by me. I loose several positions in the suge but once I get by and do my own share of passing. Then I come upon another cyclist that has thrown in the towel and again, I hit the brakes and looks for a chance to get around him. Then it is back on the throttle and back up to the front. When I hit the 3rd slowing rider I realize that I have plenty of gas left in the tank to put on a change but not enough road left to catch anyone. When we get to the top of Portola I'm sitting in about 10th spot out of about 50 *really* good cyclists! I know I could have done better but I have to learn to navigate the crowd better on the sprint. That was key to today's finish.

Mark and John and I rode a pace line all the way down Alpine at a very brisk pace. From time to time I could turn on the power and really push the pace up - Mark was on my wheel every time - he is a very good rider and not someone I can drop except after a long distance. Thor is a bulldog. When he gets his pistons moving on a downhill or a flat section, it is all I can do to keep up. But Thor has got to train in the hills more - he gets dropped on the climbs.

All in all, it as a great day on a bike. BTW, I weighted 178 lbs when I got home! I hate this ride before we do it, I tolerate it while it is happening and I love it when it is done. How about that for conflicted!!!

Now, shut up and ride!

No comments: