Thursday, October 23, 2008

Review of my 2006 Cycling Goals

OK folks, let's take a look at the goals I set for myself back on Jan 23, 2006 and see how I did. I must admit that I didn't put much attention into these goals but I did make some progress:

  1. Get down to 170 lbs. (12 more to go): Well, I'm down to 177 now but that is the best I've been able to do all year long. 177 isn't bad - I lost 5 lbs from where I started but still have 7 more to go to get where I want to be. I'm not sure where it would come from though...
  2. OLH in 20 min. or less: So my personal best we 24 minutes when I started the year. I got that down to 22:34 and then later on 21:20. I'm sure I could probably get my time below 21 minutes if I really tried harder but it feels like it would take and act of God to get me below 20 minutes. But, as they say, any goal worth doing is worth trying over and over again until you get it right!!! So, next year I'll try to break 20 minutes :-)
  3. Tour De Minnesota: Well, this one just didn't happen - Big Mig cancelled on us. Hey wait, I'm on the board of directors for this event - why wasn't I consulted about this?!! Maybe next year but I'm not going to set it as a goal - who knows if it will ever happen again. Damn! I have really been working hard at keeping up on the bar stages too :-)
  4. At least 3 Centuries: I did a lot of 100+ rides this year. The most notable being:
    • The Solvang Centry. I came in first for the Cycling Buddies despite a torential storm that struck within the first 25 miles. Beside winning the stage, I took several KOMs including Foxen Canyon and Ballard Canyon. I love this ride.
    • The Mt. Hamilton Challenge. Again, I was the stage winner for this event. I got a couple of KOMs to go with it but it was more the tactics at the end that wrapped this on up for me. I've never had so much fun sticking a fork in someone :-)
So, not a great set of results but I can be proud of the incremental progress that I made this year. I'm thinking of turning my sights on racing for MVV next year. I am going to go get tested and start working with a coach. I'm just a bit nervous of the time commitment and the liklyhood of breaking another body part in the process - there is not a lot of me that works the way it is suppose to anymore....

No comments: